Thursday 16 April 2009

Who do you want to be? Who do you think you are?

I'm active on several social networking sites and share my photos via flickr. I rely on them to keep in contact with friends. At work, they are constantly telling us to educate the kids about the dangers of the internet and social networking and how we should tell them not take to take everything they read or see for reality. People get brave behind a computer and it allows them to do things they'd never do in real life: be excessively nice, just be plain assholes, or be completely opinionated. Yet, I'm constantly seeing smart, intelligent adults getting sucked into somebody else's constructed reality. It's easy enough to do: I generally take people at face value. But the more I'm on these websites, the more I see how artificial our images are and how little we, as viewers, question it.

It's so very easy to create a persona on flickr or on any other social medium and to be honest, so very seductive. I posted a picture a while back, the picture above in fact and, up until last week, it was the most viewed picture in my stream. Some of my most viewed pictures are my self-portraits.

I'll be honest: at the best of times, I fight that "I'm ugly" feeling. So the attention is seducing and the admiration is addictive. I can choose exactly what I put up: i won't be putting up that unflattering pic of me with a double chin. Or the one where my pores look like caverns. Not only that, but I can photoshop myself to the nth degree: shave a cheek here; delete a wisp of hair there; smooth out my skin; and bring out the catch lights in my eyes. I'll pick the picture that is the most flattering --keeping  gappy teeth and gummy smile hidden-- and adjust it within an inch of it life.

The photo-shoppery? That's the subtle bit. I also choose what I write with it and that's what finishes off the persona. A couple of cool links and pop culture references and that's my image cemented. .It's nice to control how others see you and damn easy over the 'net. I can pick what i share about myself: i don't have to be insecure or boring.

There is something to be said to have an outlet where you can recreate yourself and escape, but at what cost? Posting self-portraits is never going to be a major past-time. I'm not that in-love with my mug and I mistrust adoration or people being over-complimentary. I'm constantly surprised at how many people get sucked into these things. I choose what I put up and hence I choose EXACTLY what you see. I control your image of me. That realisation frightens the hell out of me, but moreover, the realisation that i'm selling out a part of me frightens me more. That is what your young daughters' are doing on Bebo and Facebook. Testing out personas and ways of being..

No comments: